Thursday, December 6, 2012

Matters Of the Heart


(source: google)

"The doctors warned that I could have no visitors, and Hasmah decided she would enforce the doctors' order herself. Many people came and insisted they had to see me but Hasmah was very firm, allowing only a few to peep at me as I lay sedated in bed. Dr Robaayah offered to give her a sedative that first night, but she determined to stay awake to make sure no one came and bothered me"

"I also went on the treadmill and cycled, sometimes up to 10 kilometres a day, which Hasmah thought was overdoing it. In fact, I was to find out later that she even asked for my horse to be trained not to gallop too fast"

"Hasmah later said that she thought she would lose me that day. To make room for me and Dr Nasir in the car, she sat in the front seat and could only reach back to place her hand on my knee in an effort to comfort me"

"At one point, when my frustration got the better of me, I wanted to pull out all the tubes from my body. Hasmah scolded me, saying that so many people had worked very hard to help me"

"To raise my spirit, several visitors were allowed to see me. Hasmah also tried to encourage me. She brought in one of her favorite pictures of me, pointed to it and gently said that she brought this man to the hospital and fully intended to take him home"

Matters Of the Heart
A Doctor In The House
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad

p/s: As I read through this book, I would try to share a few words from him that make me deeply inspired. One of the main character is his wife, Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah. 

No comments: